Making a video has become a common want of documenting family events these days. With the ease of usage of most camcorders, all you have to do is just point and shoot. But making a good video is another thing. It requires careful planning and in some case scriptwriting most especially when you’re producing a drama or documentary for school requirement or for your family.
Here are 5 basic shooting tips for making a good video.
- Check the battery.
Before you start the shoot, be sure to check that the battery of your camcorder is fully charged. Bring extra batteries and extra tapes particularly when you’re shooting outdoors.
- Test footage before actual shooting.
Before actual shooting, record and play back some test footage so you can immediately spot problems and correct them.
- Maintain smooth and slow camera motions.
To do this, it is highly recommended to use a tripod or anything that helps you hold your camera level and keep it steady.Limit the use of zooming in and zooming out. Use only when necessary. Overusing your zoom will definitely distract your viewers.
- Plan and vary your shots.
Prior to the actual shooting, you must have planned the shots that you will need.Shoot your subject from different angles to make your video much more interesting particularly when taping a long interview. Get some shots that will make your viewers interested the whole time. If you’re taping your son’s soccer game, also get some shots of onlookers and not just the players.
- Make sure there is proper lighting. Avoid strong backlight.
In making a good video, lighting is everything. You should avoid shooting with a strong light behind your subject. Otherwise your subject will appear in silhouette.If you want to make your video fun and interesting to watch, you must plan and execute carefully. Do necessary editing to achieve great results.
- Select your best shots and remove all the others that did not turn out so well or those that do not fit in.
- Keep the scenes short. Avoid lingering too long in any single shot.
- Arrange the shots in a way that they tell a story. This is where your varied shots become very useful. Mixing close ups, mid-range and long shots will help keep your viewers’ interest.
- Make sure to include suitable transitions between the shots. Most editing programs today have this feature.
- Add simple but interesting titles. Add graphics if you want.
- Choose the most suitable music for your video and add sound effects.
For more tips, visit this page.
There are certainly many techniques you can do to produce an interesting video. Video production in Dubai offers advanced techniques you can use.